32nd Annual Fiddling and Picking Championships!
August 26, 2012
Thanks for making it out!
Misc. Acoustic Instrument
First Place-Joe Pickett, Eudora, KS(Octave Mandolin)
Second Place- Ruth Byers, Lawrence, KS (Nyckelharp)
Ensemble Folk Singing
First Place- Maggie and Abbey Vogt, Erie, KS
Second Place- Linnea and Gabriel Kyne, Kansas City, MO
Third Place-Walt Babbit and Ardys Ramberg, Baldwin City, KS.
First Place-Elizabeth Poppe, Riley, KS
Second Place-Glen Sigler, Joplin, MO
Third Place- Emily Koke, Overland Park, KS
First Place-Michael Thompson,
Second Place-Jason Shaw, Lincoln, NE
First Place- Ken Plummer, Augusta, KS
Second Place-Peter Oviatt, Lawrence, KS
Third Place- Matt Oliphant, Chanute, KS
First Place-Jonah Chilton, Leawood, KS
Second Place- Jason Shaw, Lincoln, NE
Third Place- Rick Faris, Topeka, KS
Finger Style Guitar
First Place- Thomas Silkman, Emporia, KS
Second Place-Kevin Hiatt, Kansas City, MO
Third Place-Bruce Huss, Wichita, KS
Flat Pick Guitar
First Place- Jason Shaw, Lincoln, NE
Second Place- John Shaw, Lincoln, NE
Third Place-Ken Plummer, Augusta, KS
Josh Keegan, Lenexa, KS
Want to be the first to hear about Fiddling and Picking updates? Then join us on Facebook.
You can find more info on the competitions here.
Wondering who won the contest last year? Click here to see a list.
You can help!
Sponsorships at all levels help us maintain this Kansas tradition. Email us to learn about sponsorship levels.
Without volunteers, we wouldn’t be able to bring you this event. Feel like pitching in? To volunteer, Email us. We’d love to have you!
See who the joyful winners were last year. Click here to see a list.
- How to Achieve Maximum Music Accomplishments in Less TimeAre you tired of always being behind in your music? This article will teach you how to achieve your music goals in less time, so you can focus on what you’re really good at. You will learn how to organize your time, set and achieve goals, and create a plan that works for you. With […]
- Kansas Fiddling Legend Tony Rice on His Quest to Earn a spot in the Guinness World RecordsTony Rice is on a mission to become the fastest fiddler in the world. He’s competed in several music competitions and is currently in the process of trying to become the fastest fiddler in history. Tony Rice’s life and background Tony Rice was born in 1965 in Blue Valley, Kansas. He started playing the fiddle […]
- The Power of Calmness: How to Win Music CompetitionsHow to Win Music Competitions with Calmness How to use calmness to your advantage in music contests. One of the most important things you can do when competing in music contests is to maintain a calm and controlled demeanor. When you’re upset or nervous, it will show in your playing. A calm attitude will help […]
- The Impact of Youth on SocietyThe increasing number of young adults in society is having a profound impact on the way society operates. They bring new ideas and perspectives to the table, which can lead to change. Theimpact of youth on society can be seen in both positive and negative ways. On the one hand, young adults are capable of […]
- The Top 10 Tips to Strengthen Your musicianshipIf you want to become a better musician, there are a few things you need to do. First and foremost, practice regularly. Make sure to hone your skills in a variety of ways so that you can improve your technique as quickly as possible. Second, be patient when learning new techniques- sometimes it takes a […]
- The Ultimate Guide to Learning the Obvious: Youth FiddleAre you looking for a way to improve your musical skills and make new friends at the same time? If so, then you need to check out the Ultimate Guide to Learning the Obvious: Youth Fiddle. This guide will teach you the basics of music theory and how to play common beginner pieces, so you […]
- How to Make the Perfect Ensemble Folk Singing DecisionLooking to join a folk singing ensemble? Here are four tips to help you choose the right group for you. Consider your skill level. If you’re a beginner, it’s important to join a group with lower levels. Joining a group with higher levels can be difficult and frustrating. If you’re a beginner, joining a group […]
- “How to Master the Flatpick Guitar: A Step-by-Step Guide”If you’re looking to learn how to play the flatpick guitar like a pro, look no further than this comprehensive guide. With clear instructions and easy-to-follow steps, you’ll be on your way to mastery in no time. From the basics all the way to advanced techniques, this guide has everything you need to start playing […]
- The Fun, Exciting and Challenging World of Acoustic Instrumental PlayingThere’s a lot of interesting and unique acoustic instrumental playing out there, and it can offer a great way to learn and express yourself. Whether you’re a beginner just starting out, or a seasoned pro, there is something for you to explore. Acoustic instruments offer a unique and personal way to express yourself, and there […]